11:19 PM

Blue Light Special Award



This Audible Heisman is awarded to the song that you put on layaway.  With listening to the radio, anyone with a semblance of a discerning palate, faces the same dilemma.  How many times have you turned on the radio to hear 'wake up in the morning, feelin' like P Diddy...' and just let out an 'arrrrrrgggghhh' and plugged the Aux cord in your iPod?  Thousands of times by now, to be sure.  Like most media, the whole radio system panders to the lowest common denominator.  It is not wired for the people that listen to their radio all day long, they're counting on only getting you for about 10mins, every 2hrs.  So, just to be safe, they play numbers 1-5 song on a constant loop all day, so that the masses will hit it & be like thats my jam, even though its entirely played out.  Its all part of my love/hate relationship with the radio.  It would take a firestorm of ridiculousness the likes foretold in Revelation for me to turn my back on the radio.  It is still, to this day, reigning champion as best gift I ever received; for my ninth birthday, my own radio I could put in my room!  I want to be able to read the pulse of our culture, but I want a little variety in what I hear all day as well.  I have 5 general reactions to the radio: 
1. 'arrrrrrgggh, seriously, apparently, i'm still a firework.' 
2. 'hmmm, interesting, I'm kinda diggin' this... yeah, uh huh, you know what it is...'
3. 'man, I'm into this song, but I'd be down if they wouldn't play it for a long, long while... can we pretend that airplanes...'
4. 'thats my jammmmmmm!!!!!! no matter whats happening or how many times I've heard it, its hot and I'm into it... I know its been a while, sweetheart, we hardly talk...'
and 
5. 'I dig it, but every time it comes on its getting skipped.'
This winner received the 5th reaction.  More people should do this.  If somehow you can have the forethought to have a small taste of a song and realize you like it but it has potential to be a 3rd reaction song, put it on layaway and pick it up from customer service in bout 6 months; surely, Ke$ha will have taken Jesus off her neck-a-lus, us, us by that time (one can hope, right).  With that introduction, the Blue Light Special Award goes to...






Bruno Mars- The Way You Are



I was curious how it was gonna go for Bruno.  Was he going to be just a hook guy and stay in AAA with his .430 avg. or would he have the goods to adjust to big league pitching and make the transition.  So far, it seems as if he can hit more than a fastball.  This song is objectively good.  Catchy, touching, good voice, strong lyrics.  Grenade may be even better (2nd reaction currently and will probably jump to 4th reaction in a couple years).  Somehow, the stars aligned and I just knew to hold off on this song.  I'm actually still holding off on it, I'll more than likely embrace it fully in a couple months.  And it will be so worth the wait.  Never underestimate the power of delayed gratification. Keep your eyes peeled for the J-B Weld Award after the break.

0 comments: