4:36 AM

Letting My Freak Flag Fly
















I decided to celebrate National LGBT Pride month by watching The Last Song, a fair to slightly above average coming-of-age film starring Miley Cyrus, Greg Kinnear & Liam Hemsworth.  Consider this your alert of spoils. 

A couple of things took me out of the movie experience
  • The movie is based on a Nicholas Sparks book.  So as I'm watching it, all I can think about is, when's cancer coming.  I know someone's gotta have it.  I swear, Sparks writes his books like a mad lib & just enters in setting & characters, as opposed to nouns, adverbs & similes.  
  • No female is playing hard to get with Liam Hemsworth.  I'm sorry, Hemsworth has drawls droppin' everywhere he goes, just a fact. 
  • Every time someone said Miley's characters name, Ronnie, instantly I heard Rihanna busting out a, 'shy Ronnie...' and I lost focus. 
A couple of revelations
  • Greg Kinnear is a crazy good actor!  I can't think of one bad performance he's ever had.  
  • Miley Cyrus, not so much.  Anything slightly serious or emotionally stretching reveal her glaring growth areas. 
  • I need the beach soon.  Even just watching the beach scenes had a soothing effect on my soul.  
  • Hemsworth is going to kill as Gale.  I really need to start tempering my expectations for the Hunger Games movie.
  • Girls like interacting with animals.  Why?  I really am curious.  I fear that I may need to relent on my aggressive stance of animals needing to be in the wild in order to interact with girls.  
  • Tangentially related, I Love You, Phillip Morris is not about tobacco.
  • Also just as timely, I've recently watched the SNL that Elton John hosted.  If I was gay, I'd be extremely offended by that episode.  It was basically an hour and a half of 'hey, I'm gay' followed by overly aggressive sexual innuendos & overt stereotypes.  It would be comparable to Ken Jeong hosting & the whole show being about math, chopsticks & bad driving.  You couldn't have one sketch were Elton wasn't just 'the gay guy'.  C'mon man!  Its not creative & you're better than that. 
  • The need for human connection is immense.  
  • To my knowledge, I've never had someone tell me a big lie.  I don't know how I'd react upon discovering the truth.  What's the ratio of built-up trust versus size of the deception.  In my closest experiences, I lean towards understanding & wanting to move forward.  Maybe a defense mechanism, I don't know.  I'll hop on the couch another day for that one. 
If you haven't yet, watch the movie & let me know what you think.  

0 comments: