6:23 PM

Swiss Army Knife Award






















That's right!!!! Mumford & Sons nabs the Swiss Army Knife Award, the highest Audible Heisman there is.  This is one of those 'sign post' albums, where you know exactly where you were when you first heard it.  I was on the Mogollon Rim driving to Phoenix with my buddy Robert.  They come in with the 'serve God, love me & mend' and I was like, 'oh, ish!!!! This is something like I've never quite heard before.'  It simultaneously is a breath of fresh air that takes your breath away.  I haven't had that confused respiratory sensation sense ridin' with my boy Jerry listening to his bootleg copy of College Dropout.  


Since Sigh No More's arrival to my cd player, it has not left.  I have never once skipped a track.  There are literally no dead spots in the whole album!  Another mark of a great album, my favorite song has changed numerous times; currently it is "After The Storm".  The prime reason I love this album so much is it's exultability.  You see, I don't like to demarcate the world into secular and sacred.  I feel that makes God way to small.  To say that you could only praise/worship/honor/revere God in these three specific ways that 50 yr old, white republican guys approve of, limits God.  I believe that God is so sovereign that anything that is created, ultimately, will serve to glorify Him.  I call it running it up the flag pole.  If I were just stop at Mumford & Sons and say, 'wow, these guys are talented.  This music makes me feel good, etc.'  I would've have stopped short of the music's ultimate intended end.  But if I were to say, 'wow, these guys are talented, praise the God that invented music & instruments that can make that sound.  Praise the God that heals me while I listen to this music.  Praise the God that has accomplished the actual victory I feel when I listen to this album, etc.'  I believe we should do this with all things.  


Here are exulting highlights from the album:

"Sigh No More"- 'Love it will not betray you/ Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free/ Be more like the man you were made to be'
"Roll Away Your Stone"- 'It seems that all my bridges have been burnt/ But you say that's exactly how this grace thing works/ It's not the long walk home that will change this heart/ But the welcome I receive with the the restart'
"White Blank Page"- 'Lead me to the truth and I/ Will follow you with my whole life'
"I Gave You All"- 'If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won'
"After The Storm"- 'But there will come a time you'll see/ With no more tears/ And love will not break your heart/ But dismiss your fears/ Get over your hill and see, what you find there/ With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair'

Here is my current favorite song on the album, "After The Storm".  Hope you enjoy it.  Def check out this whole album if you haven't already.  



2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Mumford & Sons FTW!

Jon said...

Mumford & Sons FTW!